Parsley Mielie Bread With Portuguese Chicken And Bean Stew
Prevent your screen from going dark (if supported by your device)
Look for the timer triggers in the recipe method
PRINT RECIPEClick To Print
- 180 g cake flour
- 90 g maize meal (mielie meal)
- 1 tsp Hinds Spices Parsley
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 80 g cold butter or margarine
- 1 400 g Rhodes Quality Creamed Sweetcorn
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 180 ml milk
- Combine the cake flour, maize meal, Hinds Spices Parsley, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Using your hands, work the butter into the dry ingredients.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the Rhodes Quality Creamed Sweetcorn, eggs and milk. Then, using a wooden spoon or spatula, add the sweetcorn mixture to the dry ingredients until well combined.
- With butter or margarine, grease the dish or bread pan you are going to use to steam the mielie bread in. Place the mealie bread mixture into the steaming dish or bread pan.
- Put the dish or bread pan inside a large pot. Pour enough boiling water into the big pot so that it comes to halfway up the side of the dish containing the bread dough, try not to get any water on or in the mealie bread mixture. Put the lid onto the pot and steam the mealie bread on medium heat for 50 minutes until the bread is completely cooked. To check, insert a butter knife into the bread, if the blade comes out clean, the bread is cooked. If there is dough stuck to the knife, cook the bread for a little longer. While the mielie bread cooks, prepare the Portuguese chicken and bean stew.
- In a bowl, coat the chicken pieces in the Hinds Portuguese Chicken Spice.
- Heat oil in large pot, fry the chicken pieces until golden brown then add the onions, fry for a further 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock, Hinds Spices Parsley and potatoes. Simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes or until the chicken and potatoes are cooked. Add the Rhodes Quality Red Kidney Beans, sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and serve.
- You can also add morogo to the stew if you have any.
Liked this recipe?Tag @hinds_spices_the_strong_one in a photo of your dish on Instagram!