South African Party Popcorn With Different Flavours
Prevent your screen from going dark (if supported by your device)
Look for the timer triggers in the recipe method
PRINT RECIPEClick To Print
- 2 bags microwave popcorn, popped according to on-pack instructions
- 0.5 warm water
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- Food colouring - green, black, yellow, red and blue
- 80 g salted peanuts
- 1 box Astros, sorted into colours optional
- 1 box Smarties, sorted into colours optional
- Hinds Spices Mixed Herbs
- 0.25 tsp garlic powder
- 0.25 tsp onion powder
- Hinds Spices Black pepper
- Salt to season
- Hinds Spices Chicken Spice
- Hinds Spices Paprika
- Hinds Spices Salt & Vinegar Seasoning
- Hinds Spices Chip Seasoning
- Divide the popcorn into 6 bowls.
- In a pot, combine the water and sugar. Simmer on a low temperature until the sugar dissolves and thickens to form a syrup.
- Divide the syrup into 5 separate bowls, add food colouring to each bowl (you will need green, yellow, blue, red and black). Stir to combine the food colouring with the syrup. Then add popcorn to each bowl, using a spatula to combine. Leave one bowl of popcorn white.
- Sprinkle Hinds Mixed Herbs, garlic powder and onion powder onto the green popcorn and add green Smarties and Astros.
- Sprinkle Hinds Black Pepper and salt onto the black popcorn.
- Sprinkle Hinds Chicken Spice and Hinds Paprika onto the red popcorn and add red Smarties and Astros.
- Sprinkle Hinds Salt & Vinegar Seasoning onto the blue popcorn and add Blue Smarties and Astros.
- Sprinkle Hinds Chip Seasoning onto the yellow popcorn and add yellow Smarties and Astros plus salted peanuts.
- Leave the popcorn to dry with the coloured syrup.
- Outline the South African Flag on a sheet of baking paper and arrange the popcorn colours to represent the South African food flag.
- You can use popcorn kernels instead of microwave popcorn in this recipe.
Liked this recipe?Tag @hinds_spices_the_strong_one in a photo of your dish on Instagram!